Hudson and Madeline

Hudson and Madeline

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tofu, etc.

If you know Hudson, or have followed my blog from the beginning, then you know how incredibly picky Hudson is with food. No joke, he eats, literally, maybe 5 things consistently. Everything has to be plain. Nothing can be mixed (i.e., he likes cheese and he likes crackers but don't for a second think you can give him cheese and crackers together!), nothing can have crumbs (like the salt on a ritz cracker, no can do), or be too spicy (have flavor). He likes pasta. He likes cheese. He likes meat. He likes tomato soup. However, put them all together (think baked ziti with meat sauce) and FORGET IT. He won't have any part of it. It's incredibly frustrating. I repeat, incredibly frustrating.

At one point I actually had hope that he would outgrow some of his pickiness, but is seems to have only gotten worse as he's gotten older and as he's become more aware of what I'm giving him.

Once I tried sneaking in a PB&J on him, knowing full well that he does not like peanut butter, and he said to me, "Mom, you DO NOT give me peanut butter. I DO NOT like peanut butter!" As if I was totally unaware. The child cannot live on yogurt and applesauce alone, for crying out loud, I was merely trying to add something to his diet that may contain a small amount of variety, not to mention protein. GEEZ!

On his second day of school, his teacher called me to tell me Hudson wasn't feeling well, that he'd thrown up and wanted to come home. Upon further investigation, it appears they gave him some tofu at snack time and he was so completely and utterly sickened by it that he threw up. Since then he has told me (I don't know how many times) that he does NOT like tofu. Yesterday when I picked him up from school I asked him how his day was and his reply? "Mommy! I didn't throw up! They didn't give me tofu!!" 

Today, again when I went to pick him up, we had the exact same conversation..."Mommy! I didn't throw up! They didn't give me tofu!!" 

Thankfully I'm the only vegetarian in the family, this tofu thing could pose some serious problems otherwise.


I am also incredibly pleased with Hudson's new school. So happy in fact that I could literally cry tears of joy. Aside from the tofu incident, Hudson has been the happiest I've seen him in quite some time these last few days and my hope is that it continues. He has already become fast friends with two boys in his class, and today they played baseball, per Hud's request. Apparently the other kids haven't had quite the same exposure to the sport as Hudson, given they were all feeling a bit discouraged at pick-up today, with the teacher encouraging them that with some practice they'd all get better. This means Hud must have had several hits and I'm certain he slid at least once into home plate.

Look out Buster Posey!


While Hud's been in school I have been enjoying some one-on-one time with my little girl and it's been so nice. I had so much time with the Hud when he was a baby. Time that was uninterrupted,  special and all about him and I feel like Maddie hasn't really had that same experience. It's tough when you have more than one, to feel like you're giving enough of yourself to each of your children. 
I have missed that with Maddie. 

We have been spending some time at the park these last few mornings and it really has just been so great. She is such an amazing little girl, I just can't imagine life without her. I am such an incredibly lucky mom.





In the afternoon, we take a family trip to the park, and let me tell you, even Hudson has a tough time keeping up with Maddie. She is fearless.


She loves to climb and she will climb on anything! Below Maddie is climbing UP the slide, and you'll note that Hudson is behind her, trying to keep up. We are in big trouble with this one, let me tell you. BIG TROUBLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment