Hudson and Madeline

Hudson and Madeline

Monday, July 19, 2010

thoughts on the helmet



We're halfway through our second week in the helmet. Hudson's doing great with it and honestly doesn't seem to even notice that it's there. He's so young that I know he'll never remember wearing it, but I've got to tell you....it's breaking my heart. Over the weekend we made a few stops around town and in my observations I've come to one conclusion and that is- people don't like the helmet. It makes them feel uncomfortable, awkward, curious, sad. Which makes me feel really SAD. We used to get lots of compliments, comments, questions....."oh, what a cutie!", "how old is your son?", "What a mellow and happy baby!"...etc.,...I'm such a proud mommy I'd talk to anyone who wanted to talk about my beloved little boy. Now I just get stares. Looks of confusion. Awkward glances. People staring at Hudson who immediately look away when you catch them staring at him. No one says hello. No one wants to talk to Hudson or tell me how adorable he is anymore. It just breaks my heart. What I've really learned from this whole experience is how incredibly difficult it must be for those parents that have children with real disabilities. How difficult it must be for them and how sad that makes me. I get that when you don't understand something and don't know what to say, you just don't say anything. But maybe we should. Just a smile goes a long way. Thankfully, this is only something I'll have to experience for a few months. I think about those parents that have to go through this their entire lives and my heart goes out to them. How strong they must be... how my perspective has changed. How thankful I am that Hudson's helmet is only temporary. And what a beautiful baby boy I think he is...helmet or not.

1 comment:

  1. Shelley,

    This broke my heart. He is totally adorable and I see babies with these everywhere now. I guess because we know so many people its not that unusual to us but I am sorry people made you feel that way. Hudson is so adorable and these few months will pass so quickly. Their one year birthdays come so fast and now I know what people mean when they say enjoy it because it goes by so fast.

    We miss you all and hope to figure out a way to meet up soon!

    Adrian, Brooke & Teddy

    ReplyDelete